The novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic is having a major impact across the UK.
COVID-19 is caused by a virus, called SARS-CoV2. One way the body fights infections like COVID-19 is by producing small particles in the blood called “antibodies”, which can be detected using a blood test. It takes days or weeks for the body to make enough of these antibodies to fight the infection. When someone gets better, these antibodies can remain in their blood at low levels, and may help protect against future infections with the same virus.
What is SIREN?
SIREN (SARS-CoV2 Immunity and Reinfection Evaluation) is answering some key questions about COVID-19, including:
1. Does previous exposure to COVID-19 prevent future infections?
2. How effective are the vaccines?
SIREN seeks to recruit 100,000 staff working within the NHS across the UK, with 10,000 recruited in Scotland.
Who can take part?
The study is open to all staff members who work in our participating sites where patients are present – whether you are a pharmacist, nurse, porter, doctor, AHP, cleaner, working in an administrative role, or in any other staff group - you do not need to be patient-facing and you do not need to be an NHS employee.
Participants do not need to have had COVID and those who have been vaccinated are also eligible to take part.
- NHS Lothian sites
- NHS Highland, Raigmore Hospital
- NHS Forth Valley, Forth Valley Royal
- NHS Lanarkshire, Hairmyres, Monklands and Wishaw
- Greater Glasgow and Clyde, GRI, QEU Beatson sites
- Golden Jubilee National Hospital
- NHS Fife, Victoria Hospital
- NHS Grampian, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary
- NHS Borders, Borders General
- NHS Western Isles
What does participation involve?
It involves a PCR (swab) test for Covid-19 infection and questionnaire every two weeks, and a serology (blood) test for antibodies every four weeks for a year.
How can I take part ?
- NHS Lothian : [email protected]
- NHS Highland, Raigmore Hosptial: [email protected]
- Forth Valley, Forth Valley Royal: [email protected]
- NHS Lanarkshire, Hairmyres, Monklands and Wishaw: [email protected]
- Greater Glasgow and Clyde, GRI, QEU Beatson sites: [email protected]
- Golden Jubilee National Hospital: [email protected]
- NHS Fife, Victoria Hospital: [email protected]
- NHS Grampian, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary: [email protected]
- NHS Borders, Borders General: [email protected]
- NHS Western Isles: [email protected]
For more information about this study please email [email protected].
If you are interested in taking part in this study, please complete the short questionnaire below and please ensure that you register with SHARE on completion (even if you have done so already) so that we can contact you.